Today many of the nation’s top security technology consultants are self-employed. Starting your own technology consulting firm as a sole proprietor doesn’t have to be difficult. If you work on your own at first you don’t have to stress about how you will pay your employees. You will have more free time to develop a solid client base and work toward your own professional development and training.
7 Steps to Get Started
1. Do not try to do too much at once. You should start small and work at building up your clientele. You may want to work part-time in the beginning while you keep another job for financial security, health insurance and other fringe benefits.
2. Hone your skills and work for clients in a niche area or specialty. As a consultant you will be expected to be an expert in your field. When you specialize in a certain area, you make it easier to stay abreast of the latest and greatest news and industry-specific information. There are plenty of different fields to work in including, biometrics, data encryption and security systems.
3. Present a polished and professional image at all times. Dress professionally, and your customers will trust you more. They are looking for someone who pays attention to the smallest details. You might want to purchase ID lanyards for yourself and any of your team members. A badge reel is another good way to display identifying information about you and your business.
4. Invest in insurance for your new company. Consulting businesses need specific types of insurance. If you aren’t sure where to go to find the right insurance for your technology consulting business, start with your home or auto insurance agent and ask for help or see if they can provide you with a referral.
5. Complete a little market research before you establish your rates. Find out what similar businesses are charging in your region, and then set competitive fees. Remember that being competitive doesn’t always mean you have to be cheaper. It is impossible to operate a business for very long unless you can figure out a way to make a profit.
6. Build a website detailing the services you offer. On your website you should include a home page, and about page, a services page, and a place for customer testimonials. You may even find that it’s helpful to promote your business using social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter.
7. Maintain your clients’ trust at all times. As a technology consultant it is likely that you will come into contact with sensitive information. It can be helpful to have a legal professional draw up contracts that outline the nature of your services and expectations very clearly.
Starting a technology consulting firm can be a lucrative business. If you have trouble getting clients at first, you might find that it’s helpful to hold free seminars or consultations that show potential clients how valuable your services can be.